Every couple of months Mercury retrogrades—meaning it moves at a slower pace and appears as if it’s moving backwards even though it isn’t.
Whenever Mercury is in retrograde many of us resort to the experience of fear and all of its manifestations—like anger, resentment, frustration, despair, pettiness, etc—to cope. And with good reason. Experience has taught us that when Mercury retrogrades all hell breaks loose. Our travel arrangements don’t pan out as expected. Our technology starts freaking out. Our words are misunderstood. We misunderstand others. And if we’re not consciously making an effort to shift our experience, it can all feel really disempowering.
But, what if there was another way? What if, instead of experiencing fear and all of the chaos that comes with it, you chose to experience peace and flow?
It’s possible. Here’s how.
Step #1: Reframe Your Belief System Around Mercury Retrogrades
In other words, shift your perspective. Here’s the thing, Mercury is going to be in retrograde 4 different times this year (2016) and unless you commit to shifting your perspective about it, you’re in for a really difficult and irritating year.
In 2016, Mercury is retrograde from…
January 5th to January 25th
April 28th to May 22nd
August 30th to September 22nd
December 19th to January 28th (2017)
The reality is that when mercury retrogrades it forces us to slow down and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. In the day an age that we’re in, where we have several different means of communication available at our fingertips, all day long, it can be hard for us to step away from it all for even a few moments.
The key to shifting your perspective about mercury in retrograde lies in seeing it as a massive, divine, cosmic gift from the universe—God—to help us slow down, re-evaluate, re-assess, release, remove and re-create when we’re having trouble remembering to take time to do it for ourselves.
Step #2: Move With The Cycle, Not Against It
These days, I’m really into organizing my life around the natural cycles that exist—moon cycles, planetary cycles, seasonal cycles, annual cycles, daily cycles, etc. When I’m more in tune with the natural rhythms of the earth and the universe I’ve found is that it’s so much easier to live and feel a sense of space and inspiration and freedom.
Let’s look at an example. There’s a reason why we all set resolutions (or intentions) at the beginning of a year. It’s because it’s an annual cycle and we feel supported by the collective energy of excitement, determination, and support to make this year the best year of our lives. Sure, you can set a resolution at any point in the year, but the reality is that that collective energy and push that you might need to really get to work on making your resolution come true, won’t likely be there to support you.
Here’s a list of things you can do to move with the energy of mercury retrograde, instead of against it:
● Don’t take things personally. People are going to be reacting to the retrograde in their own ways and you might find people to be a little less reliable than normal. They may say things they don’t really mean. They may have trouble expressing themselves or you may have trouble understanding them. Whatever issue arises, don’t take it personally. Try not to dwell and trust that everything is going to work out for the best.
● Double check your directions. If someone gives you directions, make sure you read it back to them to confirm before leaving. If you’re looking up directions on google, make sure you read them over a few times or your constantly double and triple checking to make sure you’ve gotten it right.
● Expect delays in transportation. In addition to ruling communication, Mercury rules transportation so if you’re taking public transportation, check public service announcements to make sure everything is running as it should before you leave. Also, be extra careful while you’re driving. Minimize distractions and make sure you’re paying attention to the road.
● Travel. Most people will tell you to avoid travelling during the mercury retrogrades because of the whole transportation thing, but who the heck cares. Live your life. I can’t think of a better way to unwind, relax and slow down than to take a trip to somewhere beautiful.
● Back up your computer. Just to be safe.
● Tie up loose ends. Remember those projects that you’ve been procrastinating on for months? The things that weren’t immediate priorities so you put them to the side and said “I’ll get to it when I have some time”. This is the perfect time to finish those things.
● Work on your CV/Resume/Bio/Personal Mission Statement. Because this is probably one of those loose ends that you’ve put on the back burner.
● Meditate. You won’t regret it.
Step #3: Meditate
In the video below, I share my favourite meditation to practice when Mercury is in retrograde. The retrograde is notorious for making your brain feel foggy and this meditation helps to balance out any communication problems you may be experiencing. It makes you clear, calm, patient, and takes your chaotic energy and transforms it into deep stillness and peace.
I hope this has served you in some way.
Love & Light,